Friday, November 14, 2008

The Beauty of Tests!

I am currently sitting in my room with 25 students and it is SILENT and therefore BEAUTIFUL.

For the past two days I have given 6 out of my 9 classes tests on "The Road to the Revolution". My tests are pretty hard and take most kids the majority of the 70 minute period, which means utter bliss for me. (Until the grading comes).

I really enjoy test days not only for the silence, but because I get to see the excitement in many of my students as they feel the accomplishment of taking on something challenging that they have prepared for. There is nothing better than the satisfaction of KNOWING you did well on a test because of your preparation. I also enjoy a degree of satisfaction I get when it comes to grading. Many of my students do very well on their tests, scoring A's and B's. It feels great knowing that I taught them something and they previously knew nothing about.

So, I thought it would be fun if you got to test your knowledge of the American Revolution. Are YOU smarter than an 8th grader?


a. King George III b. Mongrel Breed c. Common Sense
d. Treaty of Paris e. Quartering Act f. Red Coats
g. Patrick Henry h. Tories i. Whigs
j. Samuel Adams k. Tyranny l. firebrand

____1.) A law which required colonist to provide housing and food for soldiers.
____2.) A political party which believed the king should remain in control of the colonies.
____3.) This word describes a hothead or someone who sparks a revolution.
____4.) This person is remembered for the famous quote, “Give me liberty, or give me death.”
____5.) Authored by Thomas Paine and helped colonist to question the British control.
____6.) A political party that believed the colonies should be allowed to govern themselves.
____7.) The nickname for British Soldiers.
____8.) Formally ended the War for Independence.
____9.) Oppressive or unjustly severe government on the part of the ruler.
____10.) An agitator who started the “committees for correspondence” and the Sons of Liberty.



Answer Key: 1-e, 2-h, 3-l, 4-g, 5-c, 6-i, 7-f, 8-d, 9-k, 10-j

Are you satisfied?

4 comments:

Breanne King said...

Aw I mixed tories and whigs up! But hey 8 out of 10 I'll take it

Allison said...

I got a 100 on your test! I am awesome. JK...I'm a history teacher...that should be expected. Awesome Shannon. I love the peace and quiet that comes on test days, too!

Courtney N said...

I didn't do as bad as I thought! : )

Tab & Nate said...

You are awesome!! Thanks for playing with me this weekend it is always so fun to talk with you and get an update on your life!!