Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just an Average Week for a Busan Foreigner

My second week in Korea was a success. I met my students and taught my first classes. All in all, I think things went well. Having 3 years of experience helped, although I am definitely looking into programs to get my TESOL or ESL certificate while I am here. I think I would be a more effective educator with some formal training, not to mention I am desperate to challenge my mind again.

My work week started off a little hectic but for the most part was low key. I ran, got groceries and skyped my family/friends in the morning, taught my classes, went into to Seomyeon with my director and co-Korean teacher to get some books, and just kind of hung out alone!

This is Michelle; ain't she cute?
By Friday night I was in desperate need of some social interaction with a completely fluent English speaker. I already have this fear that if I don't challenge my mind with furthering my education or keeping a very active social life, my language skills are going to be reduced to that of a middle schooler at best. The point is, I need to talk complexly as often as I get the chance! In anycase, after work I headed into Centum City and met my friend Michelle for dinner. We went to Haeundae, which is probably the MOST famous beach in Korea and is similar in feel to Waikiki in that it has skyscrapers along the boardwalk and is nicely planned, and had some really delicious "fajitas" that looked an awful lot like tacos. I slept at her place that night and we stayed up late girl talking as we should.

The next morning I met up with Matt and Joe, from the Busan hiking club (so far, the club is just the three of us really...it's pretty awesome actually) and we hiked to Seokbolsa Temple. It was a little cold at first, but the hike was beautiful, the view from the temple was amazing and it was peaceful just to be high up in a spiritual place while looking down on a busy city and the ocean. I plan on going on these hikes as often as possible while I live here. It's such a good way to get to know the city and it feels good to be outdoors. I can't wait to see how the scenery changes as the trees blossom in the spring and change color in the fall. Busan is perfect for me because it's like the mountains I love from Utah, meet the ocean I love from California, meet the city I love from anywhere! It's such a great city. We ended the hike with some kimchi, pork and rice. It was a great first outing.
We took a cable car part part way up the mountain
View of some of Busan
Here's the club!
There's no better place to meditate than on a platform surrounded by Buddha's,  overlooking the ocean, with the sun on your face. I'm contemplating becoming a monk so I could do this everyday!

After the hike, I hung out in the city for a while longer, stopped at Home Plus (think Walmart with 4 stories...you can get anything there!), and came home to relax and watch my dubbed Korean TV show called Pasta! This morning I caught my bus to church and had a really good Sunday. Many of the young adult members in my ward have studied at BYU, BYU-H or served missions in the states and they are really helpful at translating the talks and lessons for me. Every Sunday after church the entire ward gets together and has lunch. Some of the women in the ward prepare it ahead of time and the men clean up after. Today we had rice with 5 or 6 varieties of fermented and boiled vegetables (cabbages, sprouts, seaweed, etc.) and chili sauce and then clementines for dessert. It was delicious and so nice to have a meal, since I still have no idea how to cook for myself well in this country!

I'm really happy here. I know I'll have moments and days where I'll miss my family, friends and maybe a warm brownie but I'm in a really good place right. I'm enjoying every moment of the experience and hope it will enrich my life and help me narrow down what I intend on doing with myself after this is over! 

Enjoy a few more pics from the hike :)

5 comments:

Courtney N said...

Wow! That's awesome! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying yourself!

Miss KG said...

Lazy... Taking a cable car and calling it a hike (I'm totally kidding, btw. And now reminiscing about the Burro rides overlooking Palm Springs)

If u send me your address I'll send you brownie mix and oil?

There are tons of Buddhists here in good ole NorCal! Many are legitimate Buddhists imported from Sri Lanka/Pakistan/India. Many are transfer Buddhists from Catholocism, Mormonism, etc. Did you know there is a Buddhist house/temple in the LA mountains?!?!

Good luck with your quest, and just think... Somebody carved those Buddhas long ago! And I'm guessing they didn't take a cable car ;)

Elise said...

Great pictures! The hiking looks incredible. How do you meet other English-speaking people to hike with, are they teachers too?

Aubrey said...

I love the pictures...I know can see everything you were telling me about and love it. wow, love the picture of the sun coming up! so pretty!

khill said...

You are awesome! I'm so happy for you!