I haven't written since April 5th and I'm worried. I always have something to say. I always have some complex issue to analyze or some complicated emotion to put words to. There was a time when not writing meant things were going well. I would only turn to writing when I was upset or confused. I'm not sure why I'm not writing anymore, but I know it's not because I am blissfully happy either.
I've been thinking about happiness lately. What is happiness? What does it mean to me? When have I been happy in the past? What do I need to be happy? What is the difference between fulfillment and happiness? Happiness and fun? Happiness and peace?
I don't feel unhappy. Most of my time is spent teaching, talking, smiling and laughing with other people. I am grateful for my life and enjoy the rich experiences I have on a daily basis. I am constantly reminded of the beauty of this earth and the goodness of humanity. Although, sometimes I still struggle.
I struggle because I feel directionless. I struggle because what used to matter so much to me, doesn't seem to matter anymore. I'm not sure what to care about and what to let be. I strangely am able to befriend every stranger, but guard my heart with high concrete walls and barbed wire. I don't trust men. I shy away from even the thought of a relationship, although feel a tinge of jealousy toward my friends that call their spouse their best friend and treat them as such. I would like a meaningful, fulfilling relationship but am convinced I'm not ready for one. I think I am too broken to even try.
I don't know what needs to be repaired. I don't know where to begin and most importantly, I don't know if I want things to change yet. Life is not meaningful or fulfilling right now, but at least it doesn't hurt. There is no room for disappointment. I sometimes look at myself and feel like a coward. Why aren't I stronger? Why can't I just get over things and move on? But where do I go? What do I want? The questions are very broad and difficult to answer. My opinions change each day. I haven't been writing because there haven't been any break throughs. I haven't learned or felt anything new. One day easily fades into the next. Life is full of great things, but somehow lacks the excitement and color it once possessed. Am I just old and jaded or is this part of healing? Am I healing or just developing bad habits? I don't know.
1 comment:
Hi Shannon! I hope it's not weird to comment on such personal thoughts. Just wanted to say that this is really insightful in spite of the fact that you're not sharing some kind of breakthrough. I really admire the objective way you're continually analyzing yourself and your path. I think some of your questions are ones we all face, and I think the fact that you face them so honestly means you'll follow the answers to wherever you're supposed to be. Thanks for sharing! So glad you're getting to have such cool experiences abroad.
Post a Comment