Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mima, Mama, and Me

For the first time in my life I had the wonderful experience of waking up at 4:30 AM the morning after New Years Parties and attending the Annual Pasadena New Years Rose Parade. The floats and whole experience was awesome, but the best part was being there with my mom and mima (nickname for my grandma Phelps).They are both wonderful people. Everything my mima does and says is full of passion. This provides invigorating conversation. For example it can be the most beautiful day in the California sunshine and the end of the world because Israelis and Palistinians are at it again in the same conversation. My mima has lived her entire life full of passion, gratitude and love. She takes interest and is keenly aware and educated on all facets of life. She has the ability to truly love and accept all people, but still makes it very clear what she stands for. She has been a great blessing in my life and I am so glad I got to spend this New Years with her.

My mother is just as wonderful as my mima, although for different reasons. My mom is someone who will answer the phone and ask me how I am doing and then really listen. She is someone who would quietly leave Sees Candy bars on my bed to let me know she was proud that I woke up each morning for seminary. My mom never let me think less of myself then I was. Insecurities were foolishness and waste of time considering how blessed we are. Although, there were times when the world would get me down and my mom would be there to let me cry it out and then send me to my Dad who figured out ice cream is the cure for just about everything. In adulthood my mom has proven to be the greatest example I could ever ask for. I learned valuable lessons about what a house full of love and support felt like from my mom (and dad!). I also learned how to have a healthy relationships and when to ask for guidance and direction from my mom.

I love and respect my mima and my mom. They are incredible women in all that they do. I thank my Heavenly Father each day for the blessing they have been in my life. I hope I can go through my life living up to their example and blessing their lives and they have mine.

2 comments:

SoCalSingleMama said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Fun pictures.

Breanne King said...

Oh I didn't realize you had such a direct and close line to the phelps name...its further away for me. As long as were related...