Oh, how I love having weekdays off! For the month of March I wiggled my way into having Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays off because it's not fun working Saturdays! It's been great taking advantage of these days because many of the sites I like to see are less crowded and I'm fresh and alert in the morning. Today Nina and I went to Haedong Yonggungsa Temple, also known to foreigners as the water temple as it sits on cliffs overlooking the sea. This temple was first build in the 12th century, was destroyed by the Japanese in the 16th century and then was rebuilt in the 1930s or 1970s (I read both dates). It's become Busan's 2nd most famous temple, just behind Beomosa, and these pictures will help you understand why.
 |
| As you walk toward the temple there are statues of the 12 Korean/Chinese Zodiac animals. The animals were once used to keep track of the year and time of the day. |
 |
| I was born in the year of the cow. And yes, as soon as I got home from the temple I began googling what cow people are like. Apparently if you were born in 1985 you are dedicated to your work, discrete, careful and conscientious, and value home and family. I'll take it! |
 |
| One of the many buddhas. This temple is known for honoring the buddha goddess of mercy. I didn't know until today there were buddha goddesses. I'm not going to lie...it made me like buddhism even more! |
 |
| Pagoda |
 |
| These flank the steps walking down to the temple. They're pretty, huh? |
 |
| View from above |
 |
| I wear pink when I'm happy regardless of the season. This view was icing on an already wonderful day. |
 |
| Always up for an adventure when we're together and most of them end in ice cream. It's a pretty good thing we have going on. :D |
 |
| Baby buddha's sending me all of their positive energy. |
 |
| Aren't they cute? |
 |
| During significant times of the year the entire temple is strung with lanterns. You may notice the scaffolding in the pictures upon which they hang them. I'd love to go back when they hang and light the lanterns. |
 |
| I once was told by a small Asian lady working at Cold Stone in Irvine that golden pigs would bring me good luck. My luck turned sour for a time and golden pigs became an annoying reminder of the misfortune. I think the golden pig is on my side again. I am lucky. Plus, who can find disfavor in that chubby, smiling face? |
 |
| Do you see that buddha with the black nose and belly (ko and bae - so proud I know 2 Korean words!)? Apparently if you are pregnant or wanting to get pregnant and want a son, you should come to Korean and rub that buddha! No reports on whether or not it works, but I steered clear just in case. I'll have daughters, but sons, Buddha please, give me none! |
 |
| Temple friendship bracelets! Mine has a tiny cow buddha and Nina's has a tiny dog buddha. Another thing to bring us goodluck. Lucky, lucky, you're so lucky! |
 |
| I LOVE this statue. I don't know why, but I want it in my garden or foyer or bedroom! I find it intimate, simple and beautiful. |
1 comment:
Interesting that auntie moo moo was born in the year of the cow.
The kids smart.
Post a Comment