Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Waeguk in Korea

My blogging has seriously suffered while I've been in Korea, so I figured I'll start posting and describing a few pictures from time to time as a way to remember the highlights. 
This is my BFIK, best friend in Korea, Nina. I met this gem a few weeks after getting to Korea and it was love at first sight. We spend most of our socializing time together and call each other daily, just to see how things are going.  She's a good, loyal friend and I can't wait to move closer to her!

I've been lucky to meet a group of waeguks (korean word for foreigner) that love to play beach volleyball. It's still a little cold, but that hasn't prevented me from getting in on a few games! 

Anytime I can get to the beach, I'm there. Soaking up the sun,  people watching, reading a book, talking with friends, it doesn't matter. The ocean just makes me happy!

Sometimes I enjoy live music. It helps to know what's going on when your BFIK is an amazing singer .

I've met some good friends that are interested in volunteering in the community. Here we are at a fundraiser for a  local women's shelter. 

This is overlooking my city. Jeonggwan myeon, Gijang-gun, Busan, South Korea. 

My most playful, fun and difficult students. Nothing tries your patience more than teaching two  rowdy 5 year old boys that don't speak your language! Somedays my creativity is stretched to the limit and other days I just laugh and laugh with these kids. 

They are pretty cute though, right?

Soloing at a Noraebang

Singing with my Jeonggwan girls!

That's a pikachu with a microphone. 

I have loved Korean food with the exception of this little booger.  It's called bundaegi and is a popular Korean snack food. It's a roasted silkworm pupae. It wasn't awful, but I wouldn't consider something that tasted like dirt a snack!

We were completely shocked at how good these cookies turned out for our bake sale considering it took us over an hour to find proper ingredients at HomePlus, many of which weren't really what they should have been!

This is the kind of Korean food I love.  Samgyeopsal is pork that you grill at your table and then eat wrapped in different lettuce leaves. The side dishes of kimchi, radishes, pickles, nuts, egg, soups, and fish are great too. 

Trick Art Exhibit with friends...hilarious!

Still never missing an opportunity to dance.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Fun! :-) I love reading about all your Korean adventures.

noelle regina said...

finally! i was wondering why this adorable girl was showing up in all your pics. hooray for BFIK. love your pics shanny cakes. xoxo