Thursday, June 23, 2011

Loneliness


Loneliness, I knew when things ended that you and I’d become friends. I’d known others whose lives were affected by their unwanted friendship with you. I wasn’t looking forward to getting to know you better, but knew you’d be a better friend than one who didn’t want to know me. This relationship between you and I is not really happy, not really fulfilling. It constantly leaves me wanting more. I sometimes laugh that I chose you. I often laugh when I continue to choose you.

Loneliness, you’re safe. I can trust you. You’re predictable. You’re honest to that insatiable, melancholy and solitary nature of yours. I’m not happy to know you. I didn’t grow up hoping to be your best friend. But I am proud that I’m strong enough to know you. 

Loneliness, people are really scared of you. So scared that they’ll give up pieces of themselves to fill the place where you belong.

Loneliness, I’m comfortable with you. I don’t want to be your friend forever, but won’t give you up for something that is not infinitely better.

Loneliness, I know you’ll always be there for me. Cheers to being life’s loyalist friend!

1 comment:

Elise said...

I think lonliness is everyone's friend whether "things end" or not...kind of the great human condition no matter what your relationship status.

I like your new blog layout - pretty. :-)