Thanks to my awesome parents for getting me a purple ipod nano for Christmas, and my sister-in-law for letting me borrow many of her books on CD, I have really gotten into listening to books lately. I spend at least an hour in the car each day, going to and from work and these books keep my mind occupied and I would like to think increase my knowledge and understanding of humanity, while I am doing fairly brainless things (driving, cleaning, running, etc.).
I recently finished listening to a book called The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I absolutely loved the book. It takes place in Mississippi in the early 1960s and is written from the perspective of the help, or the black maids and nannies, and an educated white woman. The dialogue is beautiful and I really love the readers. It is a perfect book for me to listen to, because if I were reading it, my imagination would never fill in the accents and sass of the characters as well. For the past few weeks between 7:30-8:00am and 4:00-4:30pm I feel like I am in Jackson, Mississippi, 50 years ago and just love it!
I definitely recommend this book.
No comments:
Post a Comment