Some days I feel like I am a waste of work space. Like today! I have SOOO much to get done, and so little desire to do any of it. I seriously don't know how I am going to get through teaching the next and last 31 days of school. I am completely disinterested in my job. This is bad. I should be fired. I am supposed to care deeply about the intellectual and moral growth of my students to the point that I don't mind spending hoards of my money and nights alone grading and planning to get them exactly that. I used to be that teacher. I have hit my breaking point. Right now I just want out.This is the problem with public education. The repercussions for poor performance essentially do not exist. It is almost impossible to monitor and fire a teacher within the current school system. This is a double edged sword: yes, it is great knowing that I have a level of job security and won't loose my job over one unhappy parent but it also means that I can get away with doing the bare minimum and not really worry about being asked to pack my things and leave unless I step it up. The consequence and reward system is so weak in public education and for me, this makes it difficult to have a lot of pride in my job and an ambition to constantly improve. The "Teacher of the Month" parking space just doesn't do it for me.
On days like this I feel bad. I feel dishonest. I feel like I shouldn't be burnt out. I should keep my passion for molding young minds at the forefront of my thoughts every day. But it's just not there. I have distanced myself from my students drastically this year. They can't know I'm divorced. I know I'm leaving and will probably never see them again come May, so as a preemptive protection measure, I have kind of stopped caring. Not to mention - teaching some of these kids is like pulling teeth. I just want them to be adults. I just want to say - fine, if you want to flunk 9th grade history, be my guest. I am sick of babying them. I am sick of the uncomfortably common mentality that says, "Give my kid an "A" with as little effort and work on their part as possible. Didn't you hear they are involved in about 10,000 extracurricular activities?" If I actually had the time (70 minute classes are just not enough), and the support from the school and parents, I could challenge these kids. I could prepare them for college. I would love to challenge these kids. Although, with the current school system and my upturned life it is almost impossible. I need more time. I need support. I need text books! I need unlimited copies! I need computers! This school is not a college prep. It is just getting the kids by - pushing them through the system. These poor kids.
In my opinion the entire US educational system needs to be revamped. It does not matter how much money the government pores into curriculum, testing, literacy, sports, or arts programs, the problem with American education is the teachers! Who wants to work the long hours of a teacher for little respect and small pay? Who wants to fear pink slips, increasing class sizes, or governmental IOUs? All these things combined to create a mob of teachers that have become experts at just pushing kids through the system, because that is all the system can support!
Most good teachers are either burnt out after 3 years, or are ready to move on to something that will at least give a growing level of self respect. Sure you can say, "I am a great teacher because I love the kids! I know I can make a difference!" But that only goes so far for many people. Usually you get into the school system and end up getting all caught up in the bureaucracy of the beast and then find your great ideas of opening up these kids minds, are shot down by overtly conservative or liberal parents. Or you come to find that no one gives a darn if the kids are prepared for college, as long as the football team is winning games. Many of the teachers that remain, are the ones that take the easy way out. They show movies, teach the same curriculum they created 20 years ago, and format lessons and assignments based on their desire to spend as little time grading as possible.
How can the country create better teachers? I guess that is the age long question. A question that has a thousand solutions that unfortunately all come back to money. There are many things that can improve the moral of teachers and impact of teachers but not within the huge socialize system we have now. Maybe it would be great if public education could be handed over in some part to smaller private corporations? Bring in consultants and financial analyst to judge how to run the school more efficiently. Bring in the leaders trained to improve performance and output....haha essentially take the heart out of education!
Oh hell - I am starting to sound like I spent time in the Tanner building. What is happening to me?
Remember - this is just a rant! It does not set in stone my views or define who I am. It's just a bad day!
1 comment:
LOL - sorry your last comment about the Tanner building totally cracked me up. :-) Sounds like corporate America exists even in the education world!
I'm still holding out to my idealistic standard that private schools are better somehow. Maybe I'm just naive.
Post a Comment