Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day of Love #15

For the last 10 days till Christmas, I would like to write about my family. As I think about what I love most on this Earth, it is definitely those people that have always been there for me.

Starting from the top, my dad.

This Earth was blessed the day Alan Charles Johnson was brought into it. Not just because he is my dad, and probably the best dad I could ever ask for, but because he is a really good man to all he interacts with. I love my dad because he is a great example in so many aspects of life.

He is honest and hard working. He takes pride in his work and, lucky for all those whose teeth he works on, is a total perfectionist! He doesn't do ANYTHING, forgive my french, half-assed. He puts his whole heart into the things he chooses to do. He is incredibly smart and confident that he can do things that an average person would think impossible. For example, he has been building a sail boat in our garages for the past 6 years (it's a huge, technical boat). He carefully measures everything out and thinks like a true mathematician/physicists/sailor to create an incredibly beautiful, dependable and efficient boat. And the crazy thing is, he isn't too worried about finishing. He does it because he enjoys the journey. I wish I could think more about the journey or the hear and now, instead of always worrying about the final product/future.

I also love my dad because he has always known how to cheer me up. Usually it comes in the form of taking me out for ice cream. The ice cream is always good, but it doesn't fix the problems. I have always interpreted this gesture as a clear act of love. A love and support that has always made me feel safe and confident to face the hardest challenges of life. My dad just knows me. He can just tell when I need a hug and is always there ready to give me one for as long as I will let him hold me, which is sometimes a very, very long time also rubs my feet. He isn't afraid if they are dirty or smelly...that's love!!

My dad is also great because he sees the good in mankind and never wants to harm or cheat anyone.

My dad is not afraid to recognize when he needs to change and work hard to make those changes in himself. He constantly improving himself.

I also love the way my dad treats my mom. Sometimes he is stressed or tired and doesn't always follow suit, but most the time he is "chasing" my mom around the house to get some of her hard earned affection. ;) Just teasing mom. But he is openly affectionate. He likes to hold my moms hand, and go on walks with her and give her a kiss when he gets home from work. They have been married for over 30 years!!

There are many more things that I could say about my dad, he is a renaissance man, good at so many things. He is a great example to me on simply how to be a good person. I hope as I continue to age and have to take on the "real" challenges of adulthood that I can be like my dad. That I can stand tall, remain hard working and optimistic even on darker days, that I can keep up my love for learning and self-improvement and openly give love to those who will accept it.

I love you Dad!



I am definitely too big to be sitting in my dads lap, but after reading this blog I think you get the point :)

1 comment:

Jen Proffit said...

Wow, Ditto. Although I have a harder time expressing it to Dad I definitely feel the same way. Love You Daddy!