Monday, December 21, 2009

Day of Love #16

I am behind on my days of love so I will have a lot of catching up to do before Christmas. I wish I had not gotten behind because life has been really hard lately and these posts have helped me remember all the love in my life.

Tonight I am going to write about my mom. This is kind of hard to write right now because I am at home and didn't listen to my mom when she warned me about something and ended up hurting her which hurt me. It is amazing how things never change. Your mom always knows best and you always think you know better!

Even though right now I feel really foolish in front of my mom, I do love her.

Shelley Johnson is a very loyal and disciplined lady. She cares fiercely for her family and pretty much turns into a mama-bear if anyone tries to harm her cubs. She stands firm in her beliefs and is not embarrassed to let people know.

She is very thoughtful and good at expressing her love and gratitude for those around her. She is constantly picking up little treats or looking for ways she can serve those around her. She can offer criticism when it is needed, but is much better at offering compliments, support and love. I have never felt like I wasn't smart, pretty or good enough in the eyes of my mother. She won't give a listening ear to self degradation, but will really listen when I just need someone to talk to.

She is an incredibly talented musician and organizer. She has been playing the cello since she was 4 and has developed a life of hard work and discipline around this instrument. The music she plays is beautiful and often done in service of our Church and community. She is also able to organize incredible music productions. She just finished her 6th year of Sing Noel, which is a free Christmas production for the community which consists of 3 different choirs. She picks the music, writes the program, makes sure people show up and feel appreciated and prepared, and much, much more. Sing Noel always turns out incredible. I know it brings many people closer to Christ. What an excellent way to serve.

My mom is also just a very cute lady. She always looks nice and has a welcoming, friendly personality. She can get along with just about anyone and is able to love and care about people who often get pushed to the sidelines and are forgotten about.

I also love that my mom is pretty much up for anything. You can say lets go jump in a cold reservoir or lets go to Italy and she will come along for the ride. She enjoys life and although she has a thousand things going on each day, makes time for lasting memories and fun adventures.

My mom has always been a good example and support to me. She loves me and I hope that I can reciprocate my love to her in a way that she understands and feels the depth my love and appreciation run.

No comments: