Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day of Love #17


I would like to focus on Ryan and Elise Johnson in this blog, also known as my older brother and sister-in-law.

Last night my mom and I stayed down in Carlsbad, just a few miles from where Ryan and Elise just moved to, so we had dinner with the two of them. This dinner reminded me of how much I love and appreciate them in my life.

My brother and his wife are both incredible people and compliment eachother very well.

Ryan is laid back. As an oldest child, he still enjoys teasing and pushing everyones buttons, but on a more serious note, he cares deeply for his family. I have lived away from my family for 6 years now, and he would be the one who would call just to talk. He would ask questions about my life that went much deeper than "how are you?" and would always be willing to listen and give diplomatic/non-judgemental advice. I really love my brother's laugh. I am not sure why. I think it is because often times when he laughs he tries to hide it, so it comes out as a contagious-I couldn't hold this in-type of laugh. He laughs easily and finds happiness and peace in small things. He IS an optimist and has an easy time of letting go of possesions or situations that are out of his control. He just kind of goes with life, smiling and surfing along the way.

Elise, my sister-in-law, is the perfect wife for Ryan. If that is not a reason to love her right off, then I don't know what is. I remember thinking, when they first got married and I got to know her, How did Ryan ever get this girl!?! Elise is very motivated and driven careerwise, and is also a good wife, cook and gardener. She is also a great communicator, writer and is always very thougtful. I love talking with Elise because she is smart. She reads a lot and all her opinions are informed and researched. Elise is one of my favorite people to talk to because she doesn't make judgements or press her opinion on you as she listens. She respects you and what you have to say, even if she has a different view on the issue. Although I will be moving back to California soon, I hope I will still occassionally have long car rides with Elise back and forth to Utah in which we can just talk.

I really appreciated Ryan and Elise last night. My life has been really hard and depressing lately and it has been hard for me to smile, laugh or even feel alive. (Who knew there were challenges big enough that even shopping and ice cream could not fix!) While we were at dinner with them, they were just forward in their communication. They listened to what I thought and felt, agreed that I was in a sucky situation but did not need to place blame on anyone. Then they just moved on with the conversation and were honest, happy and witty. I am really grateful that my brother has someone he loves and who loves him in return. They work as a team and I think will be able to get through anything together.

2 comments:

Miss KG said...

:'( sad to hear you're moving back to Southern California

SoCalSingleMama said...

Thanks that was too nice! :-)